The Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) has used Inmagic DB/TextWorks for many years to manage their library collections. This year, VIHA joined other health authority libraries around British Columbia in upgrading their web-based library catalogue search interface to a modern, feature-rich system: the Andornot Discovery Interface (AnDI).
The new catalogue is available at http://viha.andornot.com
The updated system is comparable to the search interfaces found in most university and public libraries, with a quick search box and then the ability to drill down through the results. Features include:
- A sophisticated search engine and relevancy-ranked search results put the most useful items in front of users quickly.
- Automatic spelling corrections and "did you mean?" search suggestions improve the search experience, especially when dealing with medical terminology.
- Facets such as library location, material type, subject, author and date and allow users to quickly and simply refine their search.
- An eResources facet allows users to bring up materials that are available online as e-Books or links to websites.
- A selection list helps users to mark items of interest as they search, then view, print or email the list, as well as complete a form to request those items form the library.
- The new interface is fully usable on tablets and smartphones for on-the-go access.
The site includes canned search links for special topics and collections and a more prominent listing of new titles, also available as an RSS feed. Book covers from Open Library are included automatically if available, based on ISBNs in the record.
Contact Andornot to discuss similar upgrades to your search interfaces.